Tuesday, January 28, 2014

First Reading Reflection

Zoe Adames
Professor McKamey
First Year Seminar
23 January 2014


Title: Sexting, Shame and Suicide
Author: Nina Burleigh
REFLECTION: Write about your personal connections to this text. What does it make you think about? How does it relate to you?
   
    Reading this article was very touching to me. I’m the oldest of three, all girls and the last thing I would hate to happen to them or any female is something like this. I feel like girs in this century want to grow up so fast, not even fully developed yet and they want to be going to parties and sleeping out. This text makes me think so much about my younger self. I remember as a younger teen I always wanted to be out in the “scene”, but I came to a realization that there is a time for everything.
This text also made me think about how  much social networks  are ruining lives.  If it weren’t for Facebook her picture wouldn’t have gotten around as fast as they did. Once it went viral everyone in the  school may have seen it, kids from other schools as well. Anybody who was friends with the person who posted it saw that picture. It is SAD to think that people feel happy making others feel less of themselves. I think If you do not know how to properly use social networks you should not use them.  Once something is posted it is out forever,  deleting it isnt a solution! “What's very clear to me from this Pott case, and other cases around the country, is that for raped or sexually assaulted young girls, it's one thing that people are gossiping about you in school, but when you add images that they can keep forwarding, it really can seem like the whole world knows." Images can’t be taken back especially with all the screenshot applications everyone has on their cellular devices.
This article can relate to me because like this young female Audrie I like going out and having fun. I mean, I’m a teenager of course I want to have fun. However, unlike Aubrie I know my limits. As an underage drinker  I know that I shouldn’t drink and if I do I should drink responsibly. I know it is never okay to take alcohol to the point where I pass out. Not everyone takes that into consideration. People often want to participate in drinking games and lose control of how much alcohol they are actually taking in .


1 comment:

  1. Thanks for your post, Zoe! I agree that it sad and disturbing that situations arise where someone gets very hurt in a situation where others seem to be having fun (were the perpetrators having fun/happy? I wonder). I appreciate your awareness of needing to be safe when out at parties. It's important also to recognize the culture of victim blaming in this culture (if only she...). Victim blaming doesn't help solve the larger issues related to this case (where harassing and victimizing a passed out girl is ok).
    Thanks again for sharing!

    ReplyDelete